Start the New Year on a healthy foot by using these little-known natural food “cures”
- Say goodbye to high blood sugar. Just add a little bit of cinnamon to your diet each and every day (as little as half a teaspoon!) and you’ll keep your blood sugar in check, according to a 2010 study in Diabetic Medicine.
- No more hangovers? Korean researchers have discovered that asparagus contains nutritional compounds that can help your body break down all that alcohol much faster. So eat some asparagus before or after a night of too much partying and you’ll more than likely feel much better – faster.
- Use Mother Nature’s “Sunscreen.” Eating pomegranates on a regular basis can help protect your skin from the sun’s rays. According to the research from Texas A&M University, pomegranates contain powerful compounds that help protect the skin cells against damage resulting from too much ultraviolet radiation.
- Put an end to migraine headaches. If you find that you need relief from a pounding headache and nothing seems to be working, it could mean you’re deficient in riboflavin (vitamin B2). Next time your head starts complaining, eat mushrooms. They’re a rich source of riboflavin and can help give your body the nutrition it needs. Also, take preventative measures and make sure to eat enough vitamin B2 containing foods (for example, whole eggs, milk, and kale.)
- Keep your memory sharp as a tack. Eating blueberries has been shown to have a protective effect on your brain. Plus, research shows they can also help ward off diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.